» get started today
» check out our student’s work
» need help paying for school?
Admissions procedures for Sunstate Academy include a personal interview with an Admissions Representative, meeting with a Financial Aid Officer to determine financial responsibilities, completion and submission of all required forms including the enrollment agreement, payment of the application fee, and a meeting with the Campus Director. The school will determine an applicant’s eligibility on the basis of educational background, personal interview, and commitment to becoming a working graduate.
The minimum requirements for acceptance to all programs are:
- Evidence of one of the following: High School Diploma, GED equivalent, a home-study certificate or transcript from a home-study program that is equivalent to high school level and is recognized by the student’s home state, or a passing grade on the Ability-to- Benefit examination. An applicant to any program who has not yet obtained a GED or who cannot provide proof of graduation may obtain GED testing information from the Admissions Department.
- For financial aid eligibility purposes and fulfillment of entrance requirements, students without a high school diploma or GED must demonstrate the ability to benefit from the training as evidenced by independent administration of the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test (minimum passing score of 200 on Verbal and 210 on Quantitative) for Cosmetology and Barber-Styling Cosmetology Program. Every student admitted under this provision must meet with the Program Manager or Campus Director at the end of month to review their academic progress, attendance and any other educational or personal matters affecting their academic progress.
- The Nail Technician program accepts students with a high school diploma (or its equivalent) or students that over the age of 16 and demonstrate the ability to benefit from the program as evidenced by a score of 13 on the Wonderlic Scholastic Level examination given by an authorized member of the school’s management team. Applicants who fail the Wonderlic Scholastic Level examination can be retested utilizing the procedures established by the test developer. Every student admitted under this provision must meet with the Program Manager or Campus Director at the end of month to review their academic progress, attendance and any other educational or personal matters affecting their academic progress. The Nail Technician Program is not a Title IV eligible program.
- The Massage Therapy program requires that students must have a High School diploma or its equivalent. The Massage Therapy Program is offered only at the Clearwater campus.
- An applicant must be beyond the compulsory age of attendance (Age 16).
- Students who possess a high school diploma from a foreign non-English speaking country must take the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test (minimum passing score of 200 on Verbal and 210 on Quantitative) for Cosmetology and Barber-Styling Cosmetology Program Programs and the Wonderlic Scholastic Level examination (minimum passing score of 13) for the Nail Technician program.
Sunstate Academy is authorized under Federal law to enroll foreign students under an M1 Visa. In addition to the admissions requirements listed previously, international applicants must:
- Provide a properly completed and signed Affidavit of Financial Support
- Satisfy all current INS requirements for issuance of a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for nonimmigrant Student Status
- Demonstrate English language proficiency by achieving a minimum score on the TOEFL