Pampering yourself with a super-luxurious hair mask at your favorite salon is always a treat. So, why not treat yourself and your hair to a little DIY love instead? Well, take the night off, because we’ve got the formula for fabulous hair with 5 DIY hair masks that you can totally pull off in the comfort of your own home for a fraction of the cost!
1. Olive Oil & Banana Mask– If you’re not interested in turning that ripe banana into banana bread, don’t toss it out! Blend it up with olive oil and apply it to your hair to help repair chlorine or chemical damage and prepare to be wowed by the boost of shine it gives your hair!
2. Cinnamon & Aloe Vera Mask– If you thought Aloe Vera was only good for sunburns, think again. The versatile plant also promotes hair growth and reduces scalp itchiness and dandruff. The cinnamon gives an added boost of stimulation to the scalp encouraging new hair growth. If you’ve got an aloe vera plant, just scoop out the gooey middle and mix with a few teaspoons of cinnamon. You can also find aloe vera gel at any drug store.
3. Avocado, Honey & Coconut Oil Mask– Buy two avocados (one for that tasty guacamole you love) and grab a couple of eggs. Throw in a tablespoon of honey and coconut oil and mash it all together well. Rub into your hair from the tips to the roots. Snack on that guacamole while you wait about 20 minutes and then wash it out. The avocado adds healthy fat and protein to your hair, giving it a boost of moisture and shine. It also contains growth promoting vitamins C and E and essential, damage-healing minerals, like potassium and folate.
4. Pumpkin & Honey Mask– If you have leftover pumpkin puree, mix with a few tablespoons of honey for healthy, lustrous hair. For a double the benefit, this mask is great for your face too!
5. Egg, Lemon & Coconut Milk Mask– If you’ve got a lot of product build-up or an oily scalp, this mask is for you! The lemon juice will rid your hair of excess oil and give it some shine. Eggs deliver a boost of protein. Coconut milk adds moisture and is a natural detangler. Simply, blend all three ingredients and leave in your hair for 15-20 min.
A pampering DIY treatment is a great way to indulge yourself, get fabulous hair and best of all – not break the bank while you’re doing it! So, treat yourself! If you’re passionate about creating gorgeous hair, maybe a career in the beauty industry is right for you! You can learn more about the world of beauty by checking out the cosmetology program at Sunstate Academy. Sunstate is helping students get the hands-on training they need to become licensed cosmetologists. For more information or to schedule a tour of our campus, contact Sunstate Academy today. Your future is waiting!